Call for Presenters
TAHIT’s 11th Annual Symposium
on Language Access
"Leading the Way in Health Literacy, Language Access and the Law"
September 8-9, 2017
Hilton Austin Airport
Host City: Austin, TX
The Texas Association of Healthcare Interpreters and Translators invites you to submit a presentation proposal for the 11th Annual TAHIT Symposium on Language Access to be held September 8th and 9th, 2017. Austin is the center of Texas' government, arts, entertainment, live music, barbeque and eccentricity! Join us for the fun!
The mission of TAHIT’s Annual Symposium on Language Access is to provide up-to-date educational presentations and workshops supporting Language Access in healthcare. The purpose is to bring together medical interpreters, translators, providers, administrators, and healthcare workers for collaboration and an exchange of knowledge.
Your submitted proposal to the 11th Annual TAHIT Symposium should be submitted no later than Friday, June 9th, 2017. Submissions can be made on our website. The Symposium Presentation Committee will notify you by late June if your presentation has been accepted.
Here are some general guidelines for presentation submissions:
- Presentations should adhere to one or more of the following tracks: 1) Language Access. 2) Health Literacy. 3) The Law in regard to culturally and linguistically appropriate healthcare
- Preference is given to proposals that are likely to be approved for CEUs by CCHI, IMIA, ATA, RID, etc.
- Presentations should share at least 3 concrete, proven learning objectives
- New, unique and specific presentations are highly desirable.
- *Topics on other specific laws dealing with diversity, language access, inclusion/exclusion, etc. (Affordable Care Act Section 1557, Civil Rights Act, various "bathroom bills", etc.)
*Serving and providing services to LEPs, minorities, LEP minority groups (LGBTQI, languages of limited diffusion, poor, indigent, under-insured, etc.)
*Specific Translation Techniques (crowd-sourced translation, computer assisted translation, translation memory software training, etc.)
*Specialty-specific Interpreting Techniques (pediatrics, end-of-life, psychiatry, chaplaincy, etc.)
*Administrator "Making the Case" presentations (providing specific techniques, data metrics, justifications, best practices, etc. to overcome barriers in providing language access in healthcare facilities)
- Speakers are
requested to refrain from sales pitches for their own companies or products and
services, or any other companies, organizations, or vendors, etc.
- TAHIT politely
requests industry neutrality and professional respect in presentations with
regard to fellow competitors and other industry members or suppliers.
- Presentation time
slots will be approximately one hour, including time for audience questions,
speaker introductions, etc.
- While TAHIT will make
every effort to include sound capability, sound incorporated into
presentations, videos, songs, YouTube, etc., this venue may not be
available. Please plan accordingly. ***Please note: if you prefer to
use your own laptop and have a Mac product, you will need to provide your own
pc video converter***
- Free registration to the 2016 Symposium
- Free attendance to the Texas Star Award reception
- Appreciation of all symposium attendees
- Recognition for your expertise and contributions to Language Access
- Making a difference in Texas and across the US
Thank you for your interest in presenting at the 11th Annual TAHIT Symposium on Language Access!